Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Chapter 9 - Develpoing Employees for Future Success

Concept and Brief Description
Employee development is the combination of formal education, job experiences, relationships, and assessment of personality and abilities to help employees prepare for the future of their careers. Training is usually more focused on improving performance in their current jobs but do help with employee development. Companies may use formal education programs at the workplace or off-site, such as workshops, university courses and degree programs, company-sponsored training, or programs offered by independent institutions. Companies will use assessment processes to help their employees identify strengths and areas of improvement. Interpersonal relationships with a more experienced member of the organization, like a coach or mentor, can help employees develop their understanding of the organization and its customers. Many organizations use performance appraisals as a source of assessment information.
Emotional Hook
I think coaching is one the most valuable training tools there are. When I first started my career in sales, it was a nightmare. I went from company to company until I finally found one that worked. One of the best things they did for me was team me up with another salesman that had allot more experience than me. By watching and observing, I was able to get to the same level of performance. It’s one thing to read or be told how to do something, it’s another to actually watch and do it firsthand.
Key points it Elicit in Discussion
How do you entice an employee to coach or mentor another? Would they be afraid of training their replacement? How do you know and employee development program is worth investing into or if it’s a total waste of company resources?
Facilitative Questions
Besides sex and race, what other forms of “glass ceiling” exist? What about religion? Is there a problem in Utah about religious “glass ceiling”?

No comments:

Post a Comment